Last week we finished up the known issues and began spot checking soil quality on the east side of the pool prior to beginning the restorative process.
Unfortunately, several issues were found in the area that had sunk between the wader and the pool on the south/east area. Following removal of a few interlocking pavers to test compaction, we discovered the area described above was never filled with base and only had approximately 1/2" of sand that was not compacted directly on the wet clay. As more clay was removed so the area could properly be filled with base and lifts of sand compacted and vibrated in place, the clay became more and more wet.
At approximately six feet down, a 6" drain line was found that was never properly coupled when the Community Center was built and thus 8 years of rain and pool drainage soaked the area. We cannot ignore this issue as it causes that area to be de-stabilized. A large dirt extractor and medium size bobcat are being used to remove all of the damaged soil. To date, we have already hauled away over 150 tons of damaged soil and replaced appropriately. I am guessing we will need to remove between 10 and 20 tons to stabilize this area.
As was promised to everyone when these repairs were initiated, safety comes first and all problems found will be fixed to above code. As of tonight, everything is covered and sand bagged in the event of rain this evening and of course we remain committed to having everything wrapped up prior to El Nino season. I know some will question who is responsible and who is paying for this. At this time there are several construction defects from the initial developer, several errors from our pool contractor and some actually overlap.
At this point it remains the goal of the Board to complete these repairs and examine the liability of each issue after. Due to the Board's due diligence in preparing for the worst when the first pool repair project began, we are still funded to complete this follow up as well. Every bank account has its bottom and I continue to keep my fingers crossed that we are close to finding all of the problems and can begin to grade and replace the interlocking pavers. On behalf of the Board, we thank everyone for the patience, support and understanding while these repairs are made.